Thursday, December 11, 2008

our final weeks in budapest.

These past few weeks in Budapest have been so wonderful but also quite bittersweet. In the midst of studying for exams, writting papers, and finishing up projects, we have all been running around trying to see things we haven't gotten around to yet, and enjoy all that this amazing and unpretentious city has to offer. We have been spending alot of time at the Christmas market these days in the center of the city. Budapest sure knows how to do the holidays right, with beautiful streets lit up with lights and christmas markets strewn about the city. It is so fun to walk around while filling your mug up with delicious hot wine, eating steaming treats, and shopping for your friends back home.



Corwin organized a tour of parliament for us last week. The building is almost as impressive inside as it is on the oustide. One of the members of parliament who has some connections to Calvin took us around. We also got to talk to the minister of foreign affairs for a while, before they both had to run off to a meeting with the prime minister. Here is a kinda crapy picture of the famous hungarian crown with the crooked cross on top.



When ali's family was here I took a tour of the Jewish Synagogue with them. It is the second largest Synagogue in the world, next to the one in New York. It was so cold walking around that day that I stopped at the christmas market on my way home and bought some hand knit socks and a sweater at the store next door which I put on immediatly.
Yesterday some students threw us a farewell reception (which I unfortunately had to miss for class) and our final wednesday night dinner at Corwin and Marilyn's which was delicious as always. Some of our Hungarian friends came to dinner too, as well as my art history teacher, who I have really enjoyed having this semester.
These past few days we have spent quite a bit of time walking around, revisiting our favorite coffee shops, bars, restaurants and flee markets, as well as exploring some museums we hadn't managed to visit already. Tonight we are going to see the Nutcracker at the Opera House. It is so sad to think that my life here is almost over. Although I am stooked to come home for Christmas and see all the people I love, I don't think I am quite ready to be done traveling around this area, and enjoying this city.

No comments: