Tuesday, October 13, 2009

another muddy month.


As september rolled around so did cooler weather and a slight change of tasks. Although I lament the overwhelming presence of tomatoes filling our kitchen, I am not sad to see them dissapearing from the vines. Despite the slowing down of some crops, our September harvests for the market were some of our biggest yet reaching over 30 different types of veggies overflowing our stand.


September also brought with it an eagerly awaited visit from much loved pals on the weekend of my 22nd birthday. It is crazy to think that only one year ago I was roaming around Vienna. If someone would have told me then that for my next birthday I would be in Kentucky and my friends would be visiting me from their new home in Pittsburgh I wouldn't have believed it... but I am sure glad it is true.

My little neon spent many of it's september days in the auto repair shop and my computer was also out of commission for a while. Other than that, however, things are truckin along, and fantastic food is being grown and eaten all the time. It still rains an unusual amount and some days we layer up with giant rubber overalls, boots and jackets, and slide around in the mud all day.
I have slowly been exploring the many Wendell Berry books around the house. Here is just one of his wonderful poems...
"Sewing the seed,
my hand is one with the earth.
Wanting the seed to grow,
my mind is one with the light.
Hoeing the crop,
my hands are one with the rain.
Having cared for the plants,
my mind is one with the air.
Hungry and trusting,
my mind is one with the earth.
Eating the fruit,
my body is one with the earth."

No comments: